[geeks] Zune DoS attack?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Nov 20 14:55:27 CST 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 12:42:18PM -0800, Geoff Reed wrote:

> >From what I understand apple used a 3rd party chip to power the ipod, and
> the manufacturer used to have the spec sheets available for download.

I was looking at more involved documentation, such as how to operate
the display, take input from the wheel, use the sound chip, and add
hardware to it.

The subject came up when I was asked by a friend about a device a
friend of his was trying to build. It was a simple device that needed
to be monitored and if the state of it changed a signal sent out.

I spent a few minutes specing out the device for him. It needed a cheap
very low power microprocessor, a few on/off state indicators and a
WiFi  interface. Having a USB interface for setup would make it a lot
easier, but add cost.

What came to mind was to take an iPod, remove the display, the wheel,
and the battery, all things that go bad from use and misadventure.
Use the wheel interface to read the state indicators, add a WiFi chip
and disposable batteries. This would reduce the price of the unit
by more than half and keep a lot of dead iPods from ending up in a landfill.

I've kept the concept on a back burner, but the person never went ahead
with what they asked about, or if they did, they did not include me.

The concept is still sound, if you will pardon the pun.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838