[geeks] $100 One Laptop Per Child - grist for the mill

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Nov 19 01:20:32 CST 2006

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 12:12:17AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> However, where it worked they first made sure that the people had
> hands-on education, indoctrination in community will, survival skills,
> and basic knowledge of local organization.
>
> This was done hands-on and in person.
>
> When that was done, they made good use of things like computers
> and other tools.
>
> When that was not done, the money spent on technology was wasted.
>
> You appear to think that this hands-on approach can be replaced with a
> $100 laptop, and I don't agree.

I don't. I think it can be assisted by one. If you look at a $100 laptop as
a poor man's computer, then it will fail. Poor people living wherever
are not real interested in having email, IM, watching last night's CSI
on the Internet etc.

What they do need is simple educational tools, such as reading and math
training, books or simple videos on farming, building construction,
repairing pumps, sewage treatment etc.

This can be provided by people or it can be provided by computer. People are
better than computers, computers are better than nothing.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838