[geeks] $100 One Laptop Per Child - grist for the mill

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Nov 18 10:20:59 CST 2006

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 09:41:43AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> --There are cell phone network everywhere in Africa and Asia, with 3 or
> 4 carriers even in run-down places like Nigeria.  All the equipment is
> new and has 3G and MMS GPRS, etc. capability.  Lots (and I mean lots)
> of people have cell phones, so what you need is a USB cable to go
> between the cell phone and the OLPC and a tiny device driver.

I blogged about a satellite system that could be installed in a village
and provide data downloads for MP3 players, laptops etc. The cost of
the hardware with off the shelf components about $500, with custom
components around $300.

I'm in the process of filing a U.S. provisional patent application for it
and shopping it around for funding.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838