[geeks] fwd: The Seven Phases of Owning an iPod: UI

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Nov 17 14:01:29 CST 2006

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 @ 19:06 +0000, Mark Benson said:

> On 17 Nov 2006, at 18:43, kevin marshall wrote:
>
> > The little pamphlet that came with my Nano did have a diagram of
> > a guy using the "wheel" to turn the volume down.
>
> Does thst mean you'll be buying a Zune? According to ARSTechnica, the
> interface on the *player* is that is really good...

Unfortunately, Zune is corrupted.  No thanks.

It's too bad because it has nice features.

It's especially galling that if you buy one, you are also paying money
to Universal even though you get no content from them. The Zune assumes
you are a pirate, so they charge you license fees for your illicit music
collection when you buy it.

Even Zune owner has been tried and convicted of piracy without trial.

Yes, I know other media has been like this for years. That's wrong too.

> Nope, for me the iPod doesn't represent the pinnacle of UI design
> either but the 'complete package' is great and does the things that I
> and many others want (and I for one wasn't sold into it by Apple).

I wouldn't say iPod is the pinnacle of UI design, just very good for
what it is used for.

I saw an mp3 player the other day the size of a credit card, and it has
3 wheels and 16 buttons on it. The UI and controls looked like an ATM
designed for an octopus.

Most of them seem that way to me, if they have many features.

There are a few recently that I like well enough, and I'm probably going
to get one in the next year or so for abusive use.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The determined programmer can write a
FORTRAN program in any language." ]