[geeks] PS/2 switch box

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 17 11:55:59 CST 2006

>From: kevin marshall <kevin at mpcf.com>
>Date: 2006/11/17 Fri AM 10:23:59 CST
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [geeks] PS/2 switch box

>Anyone here know of a good PS/2 only switch box? I'm looking for
>just the PS/2 capability no video at all. All i need is 2
>workstation support but if it does more that's fine.
>
>Other "requirements"
>
>no built in cables
>no proprietary cables
>no external power (preferably bus powered)

There are hundred of PS/2 KVMs that are powered off the PS/2 connections, all you need to do is ignore the video connection.

I am working with a Linksys (really ATEN) 2 port KVM that uses non-proprietary cabling (they are straight-forward PS/2 Male - Male cables and VGA cables. You can switch connection via keypress (double press of left control key) in my case OR use the switch mounted on the case.

Some low-end KVMs come with built-in cables, if you don't need any custom length runs.

I'd recommend I-O Gear, Linksys, and ATEN (which, come to think of it, may all pour out of the same factory in Asia)...

Let me know if you are looking for specific model numbers - Amazon.com, Buy.com are two good on-line retailers, as are CompUSA and Best Buy.

Lionel