[geeks] Princeton Surplus Haul...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Nov 16 13:58:01 CST 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> And if I just blindly "throw" the cursor at the edge of the screen,
> *blink*, I'm on a different page of my virtual desktop, which probably
> isn't what I wanted.

To my knowledge, this isn't the default behavior in any mainstream or
commercial GUI, so you've only yourself to blame for that.

> I know that's the official explanation.  I know a lot of people buy
> into it.  When screens were 9" diagonal and mice clunky and
> unresponsive, it might even have been true.  If it ever was, I don't
> believe it is now.

I'm not buying into anything.  It Works For Me(tm).  Now, if I could
just forklift Finder out of the way and replace it with Explorer (or
Finder from 10.2), I'd be a lot happier.

> At best, it is true for people who are used to working that way.

Yes, but not exclusively.  At home, I have a Mac.  At work, I have this:

   http://jonathan.celestrion.net/crap/nogui.png

> I have never found it to be true for me:

And there you have it.  It isn't wrong.  It isn't stupid.  It isn't
broken.  It just isn't right for you.

There are quite a lot of people for whom no GUI is right.  There are
quite a lot of people that think Windows XP is the greatest thing ever.
If we all had to use the same thing, we'd go back to pencil and paper.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and