[geeks] Princeton Surplus Haul...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 16 13:04:01 CST 2006

Thu, 16 Nov 2006 @ 08:21 +0000, Mark Benson said:

> an old IIcx case (plastic type ala IIci/Quadra 700) that had died. It
> only took a bit of light plastic surgery and it makes a much nicer
> finger friendly 7100 :P

I love the IIci form factor.

I'd love to have a PC case and system designed like that, or even a new
Apple system like that.

It would, for me anyway, be a lot nicer than the Mini, which is just too
small.

> They take up room, and I have more than I can ever use, but I spent
> time restoring them and I am loathed to just junk them. They'd have
> to go to another loving home if they ever did go.

Yep.

My IIci's have original Quantum ProDrives with no defects.  Gestalt says
they have 8 years or more of uptime too.  I got a fairly decent graphics
card, a Daystar 50Mhz 030 for one, and a cache card for the other.

I ran System 7.6.1 on mine because 8.x was too slow, and 6.x just didn't
do what I wanted.

But... they are taking up space I could use for other things.

> Anything PPC in beige is considered next to worthless these days,

The problem with those systems is that many of them are quite large.

I would like to get something small, preferrably something I could KVM
with my PC and a future second desktop that I'm planning (which I hope
will be a Mac).

That's why I thought about the Cube, though I would want one upgraded to
a faster CPU.

> > IMHO the most worthwhile G3 desktop was the Blue and White revision A.
>
> That the one that had the really horrific IDE bug. The Blue & White
> Rev 2 (they are generally numbered not lettered on the B&W) was the
> same amchine without oall the drive support bull****.

So a Rev 2 G3 will be OK and have a good IDE bus?

The last G3 I used was horribly slow, and it was one of the first that
came out.  I didn't know when that was fixed.

Really need to visit lowendmac.com, as I think they have all that kind
of information.

> Oh you also missed one important point too, the B&W G3 runs OS X very
> well, especially when upgraded.
>
> IMHO if you want to build a pre-OS X machine you could do a lot worse
> than pick up a PowerMac 9600 and a decent XLR8 or Powerlogix
> accelerator card (usually not hard to find with decent G3s on - all
> you really need) and about 512MB of RAM (I know a good source of 64MB
> sticks and the 9600 has 12 RAM slots). A couple of decent SCSI drives
> and your fixed. If you really want to put it into the zone you could
> put a Rage 128 or Radeon PCI card in, or as you are in OS 8 or 9 you
> could even use a Voodoo3. You get 5 PCI slots once you've installed a
> graphics card, which allow cheap upgrades to USB and FireWire, and
> anything else you might need.

Something to think about.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.