[geeks] Princeton Surplus Haul...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Nov 16 00:13:32 CST 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 12:49:21AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I have a pair of Mac IIci, original parts, all still working.  One has a
> Daystar 50MHz accelerator, both have decent graphics and 10baseT.

I had a pair of Q650s, the last version of IICi type machines. 68040,
56m RAM, CD-ROM, etc. They were perfect A/UX machines, if one had a copy
of it.

> I can't decide if I should toss them or not.

After not powering them on for about two years, I was in the same postition.

> I really hate to, but can't really use them either.

I put them up on rescue and a few other lists free to a good home and within
a few days a NetBSD developer called for them.

> I actually like the old MacOS for some things, but should probably find
> something like a G3 or a Cube to run that.

That should not be difficult. Anything that will not run OSX is probably
a freebee, and later machines should be really cheap.

If memory serves, 8.5 was the last release that would run 680x0 code, maybe
8.6. Anyone know for sure?

IMHO the most worthwhile G3 desktop was the Blue and White revision A.
Firewire, USB 1, ADB, 100BaseT used PC100 or PC133 SDRAM, and standard
IDE drives.

The original version won't support fast IDE drives, the most common ones
are 10-12g, there were a few Maxtor 20g's that worked.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838