[geeks] fwd: The Seven Phases of Owning an iPod - An Illustrated Journey

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Nov 15 15:24:02 CST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> The thing I wouldn't mind dropping some cash on is the PhatBox.

I try to avoid dropping money on stuff unless absolutely necessary.

I have an Omifi DMP1 that I really only bought because it was bundled
with a DMS1.[1]  I suppose when I replace my factory Subaru radio (dual DIN
6-CD changer plus cassette with AM/FM and weather band but NO AUX INPUTS)
which came with the car when I bought it off the lot, I could use the
other DIN slot for the DMP1...  although I really want to make a car
computer.  I had one a looooooong time ago when mp3 players for cars
weren't available off the shelf and it was a lot of fun.  Of course
it was really a luggable and not a portable but eh.  I've prototyped
one recently using debian and mythtv as the frontend and it worked
reasonably well.  A mini-itx-based system would fit into a spare DIN
slot quite easily....

-DanD

[1] And which I hadn't really thought about until just now... it even
has the wifi dongle so my tunes will update from the driveway...

# Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own.
# You may both be wrong.  -Dandemis