[geeks] Advice on buying a new Mac

John Francini francini at mac.com
Tue Nov 14 10:12:13 CST 2006

Perpendicular recording doesn't really change the on-disk sector
layout; rather, it means that all the bits are "standing up" -- the
magnetic domains are vertical, with North pointing either towards the
read/write head or away from it, rather than horizontally.  It
doesn't change sector layout techniques; it just means there's a
whole pile more sectors -- and probably a whole bunch more zones --
on a given drive.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpendicular_recording>