[geeks] I just saw...

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Mon Nov 13 20:46:05 CST 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>>> So J. W. Booth made it worse for his beloved South by shooting President Lincoln?
>>>
>>> Lionel
>> Can't know for sure but .. probably.
>>
>> Lincoln's policy of "malice toward none; with charity for all" wasn't
>> popular with the Radicals; they'd won a war and were by-God going to act
>> like it.
>
> It is worth noting that the Union generals were much the same.
>
> Of course, Sherman was probably thinking of his immortal soul, after the
> rape and murder he had committed in his bloody march.
>

>From what I've read the soldiers - and Generals - on both sides were of
like minds; the war is over, we're all family again and let's put this
foolish stuff behind us.  The Union army in many places kept former
Confederate officials in office, used former officers to run things and
so on.  No reason why not - they  already knew how things were run and why.

It was after the vets went home and the carpet baggers moved in that
things got ugly and former Confederates were disenfranchised.  It wasn't
until (I think) 1867 for example that laws were passed in Texas barring
from office any man who had supported the Confederacy - which there was
90% of the population.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod