[geeks] Advice on buying a new Mac

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Mon Nov 13 15:56:40 CST 2006

Saith Sridhar Ayengar ...
> Dave K wrote:
> > ...of course I can remember when we measured RAM in terms of k....
>
> How about in terms of words?

How about "slabs."  My first computer had 56K slabs.  12 bits to the slab.
It was up to the software to determine if any particular slab was two upper
case alpha charactes, or three BCD-encoded hex digits.  The memory was real
cores hung on rods, not that kiddie DEC stuff with tiny little cores on
cards.  Vaccuum tubes in the paper tape reader.  No real neckties, only
clip-ons, allowed in the machine room, 'cause we had real MACHINES in there.

-Shel "Ones?!?  You had _ones_?!?  We only had zeroes and were glad to have
_those_." Hall