[geeks] Advice on buying a new Mac

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Nov 13 14:50:09 CST 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 07:35:43PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
> In my rudimentary tests, on a 1.66GHz Core Duo with 512MB RAM and
> hooked to a 26" display, I found it copes fine with 720p HD Video in
> H.264 format (which takes a LOT of decompressing). I was able to use
> several iLife Apps at once with a little swapping, again that would
> go away with more RAM. I also found the Core Graphics and Quartz
> rendering to be smooth and snappy enough for everyday use, even with
> multiple Apps running.

On my 2Ghz Core Duo 20" iMac, Parallels with 512M allocated to Windows
XP runs *faster* than XP "natively" with 1G RAM on my 1.7Ghz Pentium-M-based
Compaq NC6220 laptop that work gave me.

Now, I only use the laptop when I have to fire up the Cisco VoIP softphone
client (and thats only because I dont want to jump through hoops to get a
license key issued for my Parallels session).

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas