[geeks] Advice on buying a new Mac

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 13 11:50:36 CST 2006

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: 2006/11/13 Mon AM 11:37:36 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Advice on buying a new Mac

>> > AppleCare is only good for hardware failures or GUI applications.
>> How likely would I need h/w help with a new Mini?
>
>Don't forget that the MIni comes with a one-year warranty; Applecare just
>extends that to three years.
>
>I've got a PPC mini (1.25Ghz) here on my desk at work (in fact I'm on it
>right now) that I've upgraded the memory in twice (once to 512M, once to
>1G) and otherwise, it just sits here and silently does its job....

IIRC, a Firewire ext. HD can really speed things up, the idea is that you set your mac to boot off the external drive, and you cna use the slower (laptop) HD for backup...

The tests I saw were for the earlier IDE PPC units, not sure how much faster the Intel SATA drives are when compared with Ext. Firewire and internal IDE in previous model.

Lionel