[geeks] FC/AL: SPARCstorage Array on PC?

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Mon Nov 13 10:39:37 CST 2006

Arno_1983 at gmx.de writes:

>noticing the current FC/AL discussion:
>I recently acquired a Sun SPARCstorage Array from University Surplus (partially populated with erased disks, two optical interface modules installed) which I'd like to put into use sometime soon. I do have the corresponding sBus FC/AL interface card, but since my Sun project is nowhere near "taking off" anytime soon, I'd like to know if I can also interface the Array to a PeeCee (yes, it's *him* again - save your flammable liquids, please...).

>What cards are in the market that go in an ISA or PCI slot and bring out the FC/AL:25Mbit (?) connection the SPARCstorage needs? Drivers for Win9x would have to be available.

Those are the first FC devices ever sold, and they jumped the gun a
bit... FC wasn't finalized, and the SSA isn't compatible with what
became the first version of real FC. So it is completely incompatible
with anything else. Those sbus cards are the only thing ever made
that will talk to them.

On the up side, they are nice boxes, although a bit slow. They seem
to have problems fully recognizing 18g & up drives though, so you're
stuck at 9g drives max.

Also, early models have a smaller power supply, and you can't fill
them with later (faster) drives than they were designed for.

------ David Fischer -------- dave at cca.org -------- http://www.cca.org ------
See Jungle! See Jungle! Go Join Your Gang, Yeah! City All Over, Go Ape Crazy!