[geeks] Bad monster. No donut.

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Nov 11 18:49:34 CST 2006

Thu, 09 Nov 2006 @ 22:07 -0600, Lionel Peterson said:

> b) The government is not set up to track # of employed and unemployed
> citizens ( and/or non-citizens, but that is a whole 'nother kettle of
> fish) - how could they do it with any real accuracy?

I don't know that they could and don't expect them to.

My problem is that the numbers are used as if they were very accurate.

They might be, averaged nationally, but that's only valid for a very
limited set of uses.

> c) To many people, employment is either 100% or 0%, depending on
> whether or not they have a job.
>
> Personally, I think the employment climate is pretty good, at least in
> my area (central NJ/Philadelphia, PA), and in my field (software
> testing/computer system validation, mainly in the Pharma industry) - I
> can't speak to anything beyond that...

Even in Tidewater it seems to have improved.

One thing I've heard locally is that outsourcing for things like
programming jobs has backfired. (*)

The biggest local problem is a near total lack of cooperation among the
cities in the local megapolis. They act more like warring fuedal states
than a cooperative economy.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820
2056 2054 434d 2048 4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53]