[geeks] Brighton Chilli was Re: [rescue] speaking of WEP

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 11 10:13:45 CST 2006

>How does this differ from the Linux based offering PublicIP?

For starters it's not linux based so it doesn't suck! ;)
on a serious note, feature wise PublicIP has lots more but then again why do
you need X on a accesspoint?, Brighton Chilli just has the bare essentials
to get a managed hotspot going. It's my bit of *BSD advocacy to show the
strengths of the BSD's in the wifi field because of their solid wifi driver
support.
I use chillispot which ties in with a radius server to do the accounting &
account settings, PublicIP uses NoCat which is problematic with some
browsers e.g safari (or atleast it was 6/8 months ago when a local community
wifi project was using it before they switched to chillispot).
I've never heard of PublicIP until you mentioned it so I haven't actually
used to tell you much more, the statement above is solely based on going
through the changelog on the PublicIP site.

You can read up more about chillispot @ www.chillispot.org
If you wanna hear me talking about Brighton Chilli, I was interviewed on the
BSDtalk podcast last month
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/2006/10/bsdtalk073-interview-with-sevan.html

Sevan / Venture37