[geeks] FC-AL vs. SCSI

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Nov 10 21:29:12 CST 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

>> With multiple SCSI drives I can implement software RAID and I assume
>> some speed benefit from having data spread across 10 spindles. I also
>> like the idea of a "classic" array of storage that can be sliced and
>> diced as desired...
>
> As long as you don't have to pay per rackmount U and don't mind the
> extra heat, noise, space, power.

I have a 3U 16-disk array at home that consumes less than 6A at peak and
is very nearly office-friendly in terms of noise.  Decent storage isn't
as onerous a prospect as it used to be.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and