[geeks] FC-AL vs. SCSI

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 16:32:18 CST 2006

On 11/10/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> To follow your advice (which I didn't really consider before you suggested it) would
> require the purchase of the HD ($190 for a Seagate 400 Gig IDE HD (see:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148098 for sample),
> plus unknown cost of IDE converter - $50-75? That makes the IDE solution a tad
> more expensive (about 25% more expensive) and has all data on one spindle.

That drive is over-priced.  You should be able to get 2 for not much
more than that if you shop carefully.  I'm not sure about IDE->SCSI
bridges, but I wouldn't think they'd be that high, since IDE->SATA
goes for about $19.

With 2x 400GB, you can RAID 1, or buy 3 and go RAID 5.  And with
Solaris VM, you can "slice and dice" at will with either, as I'm sure
the disk(s) or RAID'd filesystem can be handled the same way SCSI
disks would be.

Consider the heat/power/noise issues as well.

Now if you are planning on disk-intensive work, yeah, SCSI is probably
the way to go (and I'd still put my OS on SCSI in any case), but if
you are just looking for media storage, on-line backups and the like,
IDE should be sufficient.

=Nadine=