[geeks] Java as a first language

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 14:30:30 CST 2006

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 11:01:36AM -0500, kevin marshall wrote:
>> Please excuse me if this has been covered before, but would any
>> of you recommend Java as a first language, and if not, any
>> recommendations?
>
> "The Perils of JavaSchools":
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html

I love the quote:

"The recruiters-who-use-grep, by the way, are ridiculed here, and for
good reason. I have never met anyone who can do Scheme, Haskell, and C
pointers who can't pick up Java in two days, and create better Java code
than people with five years of experience in Java, but try explaining
that to the average HR drone."

Ha!  Excellent!

(I'm a LISP/SML/Prolog coder who picked up Java in one long-ass day.)

Peace...  Sridhar