[geeks] Java as a first language

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 12:42:47 CST 2006

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Please excuse me if this has been covered before, but would any
>> of you recommend Java as a first language, and if not, any
>> recommendations?
>
> YMMV but I've had good luck with English as my first language, but opinions vary (esp. outside the US)...

I think I benefited much from having Tamil as my first language and
learning to speak English when I was about four years old.  It gave me
the ability to learn languages much more quickly.  After that, I picked
up German and Hindi (to some extent) fairly quickly.

One thing I noticed is that English tends to be more precise than Tamil,
and German tends to be more precise than English.

Peace...  Sridhar