[geeks] Java as a first language

Fri Nov 10 10:41:07 CST 2006

> Please excuse me if this has been covered before, but would any of
> you recommend Java as a first language, and if not, any
> recommendations?

First language for whom?

Someone who just needs to throw together small programs should probably
learn whatever language they're going to need to be in.

Someone who wants to get a good job coding should probably survey the
market and pick whatever best suits hir target jobs.

Someone who wants to actually grok programming, it doesn't raelly
matter to; to do that requires wrapping one's head around at least a
half-dozen different programming paradigms, with preferably at least
two or three languages each; which one of them is learnt first makes
little difference.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca