[geeks] FC-AL vs. SCSI

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Fri Nov 10 00:31:29 CST 2006

lionel4287 at verizon.net writes:

>I'm planning to put together a "large" storage array for my SPARC systems, like 500 Meg or greater, and I see two basic choices:

>1) Take a couple Sun multipacks (which I have three of) and stuff them full of larger SCSI drives (like 50 Gig IBM drives for about $15/each)

>2) Get a drive shelf like an  AS5200 (I can get  11x 18 Gig HDs in a 22 bay storage array for about $150 - I have an SBUS controller and would need to also get the proper optical cable)...

>Is there an inherent speed advantage to FC-AL? I'm tempted to get the FC-AL shelf just because I want to play with it, but higher-density FC-AL drives are very pricey...

I'm sure this has improved with each generation of FC, but we're
talking about buying 1st-gen stuff on the used market, so... my
experience is that (early) FC involves the complexity of network
administration without sufficient network admin tools.

I've been leaning back towards SCSI on my e3500 lately.

If you do go with used FC gear, get some spare GBICs. They burn out.

(And obviously, avoid those pre-gigabit-FC SSA's and their associated
sbus cards.)

----- David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
-- Being poked in the eye with a pointy stick makes the baby Jesus cry. --