[geeks] Bad monster. No donut.

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 9 16:25:03 CST 2006

velociraptor wrote:
> I would also suggest that anyone who has a disability of any
> type--which includes Aspergers afaik--get advice about how to job hunt
> in this situation.  Employers legally cannot discriminate based on
> disabilities, but if you give them some other opportunity to
> disqualify you from consideration, they'll take it.

Oy vey, I know.  I'm physically disabled, the Asperger's diagnosis is
actually only about a month old (it is the opinion and conclusion of my
therapist and of the psychologist who did the neuropsychological testing
that I've had Asperger's all my life, and probably had PTSD since I was
18 months old, but neither of those was actually diagnosed until last
month), and I've had lots of job interview processes that seemed to be
going swimmingly until they saw me in a face-to-face interview and
realized I was disabled.  And then the whole thing would go *POOF*,
sometimes for the strangest of purported reasons, or for no reason at
all, or I'd just never hear another word from them again.

But of course, I can't *prove* any of them were because I'm disabled.

> A tactic for relocation: don't put an address on your resume (you
> shouldn't if you are posting to the internet anyway--it's a lever for
> identity theft), or just put the target city as your location,
> assuming you can relocate quickly.

I can't, quickly or easily, and frankly I don't want to.  I'm *tired* of
moving around the country involuntarily.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location