[geeks] Windows XP, and activation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 9 15:27:47 CST 2006

Wed, 08 Nov 2006 @ 20:06 +0000, Mike Meredith said:

> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 16:32:23 -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I found a customized unattended DVD install of Windows XP, SP1, SP2,
> > and all patches up through September 2006, including about 1500 third
> > party drivers.
>
> Now that would be *very* useful. I must see if I can hunt one down. I
> keep an XP partition on my laptop 'just in case' (actually it's the only
> way of programming my Phillips Pronto) and I really hate fighting
> Windows to get it to work properly.

I found one with torrent searches.

There are guys out there who just release these every so often.  Some of
them provide quite regular updates even.

Obviously you have to be careful of the source, but I've never found one
that was deliberately sabotoged.

The only other big issues are:

	- some versions are non-English
	- some releases are highly customized for a specific application,
	  with minimalist gaming installs being common
	- not all releases have updated drivers, just the Microsoft updates

Also note that if you get one with a lot of drivers and Microsoft
updates, there are a few times during install when it will apear to
hang.  This is normal and is just due to the large amount of data.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]