[geeks] Pure ZFS machine - possible?

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Thu Nov 9 15:05:41 CST 2006

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2006, at 3:11 PM, Mark Benson wrote:
>

>> I am experimenting with ZFS and Solaris 10 06/06 on UltraSPARC
>> machines (all pure sun4u architecture) and I want to know if, with
>> the existing installer for Solaris 10, it is possible to build a ZFS
>> Zpool during the install had have it use that in preference to the
>> conventional partitioned file system. This would result in
>> essentially creating a machine with a near infinite root storage
>> system, as well as all the plusses of using ZFS.
>>

> My understanding is that you cannot yet boot off of ZFS.
>
> --Patrick

This is true for Sparc, but it is possible to boot off ZFS with x86. It
involves a fair bit of hackery, and is only possible after the initial
install, not during the installation process (as I understand it.) Plus,
I don't think it can be done with mainstream Solaris - it is only
available for Solaris Express/SXCR/OpenSolaris.

- Mike