[geeks] Pure ZFS machine - possible?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 14:11:20 CST 2006

I am experimenting with ZFS and Solaris 10 06/06 on UltraSPARC
machines (all pure sun4u architecture) and I want to know if, with
the existing installer for Solaris 10, it is possible to build a ZFS
Zpool during the install had have it use that in preference to the
conventional partitioned file system. This would result in
essentially creating a machine with a near infinite root storage
system, as well as all the plusses of using ZFS.

If this is not possible, could a compromise of sorts be drawn by
mounting ZFS filesystems spurred off a single Zpool to the system
mount points for the install? Using careful quota assignments this
would allow you to have total control over partitions traditionally a
headache in UNIX, such as /var and /tmp, yet also if sizes needed to
be expanded would give scope to do so.

Forgive me I wrote this e-mail while doing other stuff and thought
through as I was going. I am guessing having thought on it you would
need /boot and swap at least on a conventional partitioned disk?

Just having all sorts of thoughts about ZFS and how cool it is,
wondered exactly how good it was...

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>
68kMac.org:
<http://www.68kmac.org>

"Introducing Macintosh Classic II - pick one out on your way past the
trash!"