[geeks] I just saw...

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Wed Nov 8 07:59:40 CST 2006

Joost van de Griek wrote:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> The weakness of the punch-card or ScanTron ballots is that people can
>> incompletely mark or punch them, or change their minds with one entry
>> partly marked or punched, or vote for multiple candidates, or otherwise
>> spoil the ballot.
>
> The ability to spoil your ballot is an essential part of the voting
> process. Akin to voting "none of the above!"

While it's true you should be able to vote for nobody, or for Mickey
Mouse, it should not be easy to *accidentally* spoil your ballot and
thus lose your vote.

Unfortunately, in most states -- and in Federal elections -- we don't
have the capability to vote "None of the above".  Texas, though, has
binding NOTA, and so I believe does Oregon.  Does anyone in those states
have any numbers on how often NOTA wins?

--
 Same geek, same site, new location