[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 8 06:18:19 CST 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2006/11/07 Tue PM 11:01:08 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] can't wait for Vista

>Tue, 07 Nov 2006 @ 21:38 -0600, Lionel Peterson said:
>
>> >Not everyone can just pack up and leave when an employer sucks.
>>
>> Yes, they can - they choose not to. It's not that important to them,
>> and that's fine, but the choice is there.
>
>Some people won't make the choice, sure, but it isn't a choice for
>everyone.
>
>Just for example, local obligations, a lack of alternate jobs, medical
>problems, contracts, or maybe a lack of skills could keep you from
>moving.
>
>Given enough time, I suppose most people could move, but not in all
>cases, and it could take quite a while.
>
>If you need to leave town and/or have a family and other heavy
>obligations, it is harder.

I agree with everything you wrote, but I argue that your statements reinforce my assertion that the choice is there. Is it an easy choice, in many cases no - but that doesn't mena the choice isn't there, just that outside factors weigh heavily on any decision.

For certain, an employers preference of computing platform is not on the radar of most employees - personally I don't consider it important enough to either turn down a job offer or to leave a current job. I've worked in Mainframe (MVS), Unix (HP & AT&T), and Windows environments, and each had it's pros and cons (for me).

Lionel