[geeks] Seeking a laptop scsi disk...

Wed Nov 8 00:00:57 CST 2006

>>> The Voyager is not a laptop but a "transportable" if you got the
>>> muscle. :)
>> Doesn't need all that much muscle.  The main thing it doesn't have
>> is physically integrated keyboard that forms screen protection when
>> the machine is closed.
> True.  But have you lifted it?

Oh yes.

> A lot heavier than my laptop and the bag is much larger (yes, I have
> the carry bag).  That's what I meant by muscle.

Compared to a modern laptop, well, I'm not surprised.  To make a fair
comparison, I'd want to compare it to a laptop of the same era.

My own laptop, while I'm not sure its age, is relatively old; it's a
first-gen Pentium (specifically, a Toshiba Satellite 110CS).  The
laptop is 3.074kg with battery, 2.484kg without (and yes, it will run
on mains power without the battery).  The Voyager is 7.290kg with its
battery, 6.595kg without - that's including the power brick; since the
laptop takes mains power directly, I felt it only fair to include the
necessary pieces for the Voyager to do likewise.  (Skip the power brick
and wiring and it's 6.660kg with, 5.965kg without.)

So, it's some two and a half times as much weight as my laptop.  I'm
not sure which side that counts as an argument on; I suppose it depends
on whether you think seven and a quarter kilos needs lots of muscle.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca