[geeks] can't wait for Vista

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Nov 8 00:30:21 CST 2006

> The idiots in *every* country will behave like this.  Nothing special
> about here.
>
> Where in this country are they pushing it forward in spite of tests that
> show it to work poorly?

Take a look at the times where it was definitively shown to cause
interference and according to the "rules" the system should be shut
down or fixed.  Fixed it was't and how many press releases were issued
about how well it works?  The FCC appeared to take more interest in
their belly button lint until quite recently. I wonder whose foot got
planted in the correct spot?

> I'm not talking about their media face, I'm talking about what the local
> HAMs and people at regional shows are saying when you talk to them. They
> are very rarely political at times like that.
>
> They don't like it, but I don't see any of them saying that BPL will
> destroy worldwide communications.

Nah, they just won't be able to communicate worldwide.  No problem, just
move to VHF/UHF.  Most hams won't really care until they hear all of the
birdies in their receivers, then it could be too late.

> They already are fighting all kinds of other problems, so maybe BPL is
> really just one of many.

True. But with the way the FCC seems to look the other way, it gets a little
worrysome.

> > > about something that hasn't even happened yet, and doesn't look like it
> > > will anyway.
> >
> > Only time will tell...
>
> Sure, but at least let's wait until it appear to be heading that way.

Unfotunately, that doesn't always work. Didn't for the 220 MHz band.

> Right now it looks a lot like BPL will be useless even if it worked with
> no interference at all.

Ah, but get some Microsoft marketing skills in there and it will be the
greatest thing since sliced bread.

> It seems to me that fiber and other methods are rapidly leaving the
> future doomsday network behind.

But do they (the companies or the FCC) or the general public see that?

> The other day I was thinking about how our power fluctuates when we have
> space storms.  What happens to BPL then?

Crashes I hope.  Another problem....what if I fire up a 1 kW linear into
a dipole parallel to the power lines.  If signals leak out, signals can
leak in. :) I also wonder what noisy power lines would do to the BPL signal?
There's an intersection near me that has an S9+ noise level on the lower
HF bands.  Talk about spark gap transmitters! :)

Bob