[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 7 23:01:08 CST 2006

Tue, 07 Nov 2006 @ 21:38 -0600, Lionel Peterson said:

> >Not everyone can just pack up and leave when an employer sucks.
>
> Yes, they can - they choose not to. It's not that important to them,
> and that's fine, but the choice is there.

Some people won't make the choice, sure, but it isn't a choice for
everyone.

Just for example, local obligations, a lack of alternate jobs, medical
problems, contracts, or maybe a lack of skills could keep you from
moving.

Given enough time, I suppose most people could move, but not in all
cases, and it could take quite a while.

If you need to leave town and/or have a family and other heavy
obligations, it is harder.

> >> Failure to exercise your choice doesn't eliminate the choice.
> >>
> >> Sorry, I just hate the argument about not having a choice...
> >
> >...and likewise I hate the invalid assumption that everyone has that
> >choice.
>
> I disagree - even in one-company towns, somebody runs the gas station,
> someone runs the local lunch counter, etc...

...and if they don't pay enough to support you or aren't hiring?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["All of us get lost in the darkness,
dreamers turn to look at the stars" -- Rush ]