[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Nov 7 15:06:34 CST 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:16:00 -0500, velociraptor wrote:
> They wouldn't developer and expect them to work without a compiler or
> a graphics designer to work without Photoshop, so I think I can safely
> say that a *NIX SA requires a *NIX desktop to do their job.

The sad thing is that one of my colleagues who has worked in numerous
places over a longer career than mine has *never* had a Unix desktop to
do his job with before. Now he's used to one, the only way you'll get it
away from him is to pry it out of his cold dead hands (his phrase).

Me ? I've never used Windows to manage Unix systems except for about 2
days after my SGI PowerSeries finally died. I went straight from a
serial terminal (in preference to a 286 then 386SX I had access to), to
a Linux machine. I've always had trouble seeing Windows as something to
use for anything other than playing games.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  "Spammers on the Internet are like hula hoops, pet rocks, or subway