[geeks] can't wait for Vista

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 13:59:07 CST 2006

On 11/6/06, Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>
> > Easy enough to justify - Macs should be a viable machine long after a
> > comparable Windows machine is not up to snuff.
> >
> > My G4 Powerbook* is - four years on - a viable machine at work.  It's
> > only lack is a small disk.  It runs the latest OS X and so on.

Slap in a $10 used SCSI card and a couple of cast off SCSI disks from
a server and you solve that problem and help the speed issue.

> Likewise with my G4 Quicksilver.  I've just recently replaced it with a
> Mac Pro (which, BTW, cost less than an equivalently-configured Dell
> Precision), not because the G4 was slow, but because the Mac Pro running
> Parallels could replace several machines at once.

I'm considering this as well, but am not sure I want my file services
running on the same machine as my desktop, given my recent travails.

> The Quicksilver is far from the recycle pile.  It'll likely show up on
> my desk at work, replacing the Optiplex whose crap Intel graphics and
> subpar storage subsystem makes the whole system run sluggish.

Oh, there's my old $ork desktop in a nutshell.  :-/  Thank goodness
there was a custom-built cast-off mail scanner to rescue from the
excess pile to install RHEL 4 on, or I'd be crankier than I already am
about this job.

> Or, I'll
> just keep it at home in case there are any classic applications I need
> to run (like Framemaker).

Heck, how did I forget about Framemaker?  I guess there will be one
PPC box around for quite a while. :-)  Especially if grad school is in
my future--I can't imagine using Word or OpenOffice for anything
beyond a memo or letter.

=Nadine=