[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Nov 7 11:58:38 CST 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 11:30:41AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Do you have documented evidence of this occurring in a permanent BPL
> install (rather than a trial/testbed), or are you just raging against
> the machine?

There are no permanent BPL instalations. The trials outside the U.S. have
all been terminated due to interference. The trials in the U.S. are
"ongoing" because there is no one limiting the length or scope of the trials.

If the trials were completed then state public utility commision approval
would have to be sought, if they run an idefinite trial, they can do it
with no regulation.

There was an annoucment of a full network being deployed in Texas, I have
no idea if it ever was.

There is plenty of documented cases of interference. In the U.S. no one
seems to be listening. Ed Hare, W1RFI, of the ARRL conducts interference
testing. His results are published on the ARRL web site.

The ARRL limits itself to fighting interference in the ham bands. His offers
of information to other user's groups have been refused.

The FCC does not care to take notice of such interference and if complaints
are made, ignores them. Tests by the U.S. goverment (NIST) showed the
interference was real and recommend that the FCC ban BPL.

The FCC ignored the NIST tests and recemendations.

> Again, do you have documented evidence of a BPL installation causing any
> of the above interference, to anyone *other* than amateur radio operators?

Sure, STFW.

> And then, do you have any evidence that people did *not* take measures to
> try to eliminate any caused interference?

The Current Communications (Google) system does this by turning off usage of a
specific freqeuncy. If someone complains, they turn it off.

In Austrialia, a test was conducted near a coastal radio station and it
prevented ships from communicating with it.

The point is they can't stop turning off frequencies.

> (I'm a ham myself, K5WCB, but your "GOOGLE EVIL!  BPL EVIL!  YARRRGH!"
>  stuff gets tiring after a while... )

QRZ no longer shows the difference between technicians with HF privledges
and those without. Have you been on HF recently? Ever?

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838