[geeks] Seeking a laptop scsi disk...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Nov 7 11:03:03 CST 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 11:37:20AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> I've got a SPARCstation Voyager.  It's fine, except that the disk is
> only 773 megs (that's as reported in dmesg at boot time), which I find
> rather cramping.  Trouble is, it takes a laptop SCSI disk, which is a
> rather rare item.  I don't suppose anyone has one looking for a home?

They were both rare and expensive. The largest made were 1.2 gigabytes.
The 3GX, which I think was later than the Voyager came with either the 1.2g
drives or 2g drives in a little removable box.

The ones shipped with 2 gig drives had a scsi to ide adaptor and an IDE drive
in the box.

The adaptors were expensive, still as much as $150 on eBay a year ago.

There are two kind, one is limited to 8g, the other limited to 120g.

If you are running Solaris on it, it may be limited to 2g depending upon
the release you have for it.

I don't know if the 3GX patches will support the Voyager too. The 2.6 patches
were downloadable and can be easily found. Solaris 7 was sold (for $500)
for the 3GX, it may also work on the Voyager. The problem is that the free
version of 7 does not support the laptops and the patches were never released
to the public.

I have never been able to find a copy of it, except for the occasional
copy for sale on eBay for far more than I can afford.

A year ago, I tried to install various xBSD versions on my 3GX and none
of them supported the hardware that I had. By now it may work, new releases
were "in the works".

Bear in mind that although they had excelent screens and good keyboards,
they are awfully slow by modern standards, limited in RAM, and have very
short battery life.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838