[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 7 10:56:41 CST 2006

Tue, 07 Nov 2006 @ 01:10 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 10:52:02PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
> > OK so denying people freedom with their own data and hardware, or
> > enforcing DRM on people's legitimate media is not acting to "disrupt
> > communications"?
> >
> > Oh sorry I must have gotten them all wrong... damn me...
>
> No it's not disrupting communications in the way I refered to it. It may
> disrupt your communication, but you bought the Microsoft product, you
> bought the PC and you allowed (or took the default) to install the patches.

That's not true.

Millions of people who did *NOT* buy Microsoft are still affected by it
every single day.

I only use it for games, with 90% of my time being in UNIX, and I still
suffer from Microsoft stupidity even without using them.

Even if you use it daily, that doesn't mean the problem is yours.  There
are a lot of valid reasons for using Windows.  The idea that this is
the users fault is an old falicious argument.

> I was refering to disrupting communications between two third parties neither
> of which purchased or used your products.

Right, and Microsoft qualifies nicely for that, and unlike with
broadband, it is much harder to get away from it for the average joe.

99% of the people won't be affected by broadband over power lines,
nearly everyone is affected by Microsoft now.

> > At the end of the day you have a given right to do what the hell you
> > want with your property. They, and anyone else that subscribes to
> > their little game, are outside their moral standing as a software and
> > service *provider*. You are allowed to have rules, you are not
> > allowed to invent your own law.
>
> It's called business. If you don't like it, vote with your feet.

You cannot vote with your feet and get away from Microsoft.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall