[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Nov 7 08:32:14 CST 2006

" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
"
" >" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
" >"
" >" I don't think Apple wants people to update their computers, period.
" >
" >speaking of which, my gf recently experienced a power surge that took
" >out her imac's -power-cord-.  is this just random, or is it where
" >apple in their infinitesimal wisdom deliberately put the fuse,
" >expecting that none of their chimpanzee users could find/replace it if
" >they put it in the main case?
" >
" >there is no obvious fuse in the cord, it is just very limp and
" >non-functional.  a generic iec power cord got her machine back up.
"
" I doubt Apple put a fuse in-line in a power cord and did not:
"
" a) advertise there is a fuse in it (owners manual, service manual, etc.) or

i haven't seen the manual -- yet.

" b) provide for replacement of the fuse (by contacting Apple store for
" replacement)

i was imagining a fusible link in the cord, which would be replaced
with a new cord.  one of us will check the manual before getting a new
gen-u-wine apple power cord.

cars used to have fusible links in the ignition harness.  that
probably disappeared when they went to electronic ignition, in the mid
'70s.  i'm sure they prevented many engine fires, but they were hell
to replace.

" I suspect what your GF has (aside from a "very limp and
" non-functional" cord ;^) is a part that acted as a natural surge
" supressor due to "just good enough" design - the surge shorted out
" the cord.

could it be 'just good enough' on purpose?

" If I was you/her, I would be very thankful the cord sacrificed itself
" - I say this as a fellow with a network all-in-one printer with a
" dead network interface, 4 dead ports on two 24 port switches, and a
" dead ReplayTV unit - all froma near-by lightning strike.

neither of us are unhappy at all that the cord went instead of the mac!