[geeks] Windows XP, and activation

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 17:08:51 CST 2006

But a few minutes ago, I wrote the following:

> Nope, even the web management interface requires (or at least claims to)
> Win2000 or better and IE6 or better.  Looks like Opera's "Mask as Internet
>
> Explorer" option at least gets the main page to load instead of saying
> that
> your OS or browser is unsupported, but it doesn't display the status/"to
> do"
> info like it does in IE, and none of the other links work. And looks like
> Firefox is doing the same thing.

Although, IIRC the actual downloading of the updates is done via vanilla
HTTP,
so you could concievably pull them down to a non-Windows machine.  The
only problem is that the files aren't named  with the usual
WinXP-KB123123-enu.exe
scheme like when you manually download them from MS.  All the file names are

long hex strings followed by the extensions, and they're somehow subdivided
into directories with two digit hex names.