[geeks] Suprise - ext. USB HD "Just Worked" under Solaris 10

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Nov 6 14:58:49 CST 2006

Mon, 06 Nov 2006 @ 08:52 -0500, Nadine said:

> On 11/5/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> > >From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
>
> > >I have been patching a bunch of workstations at $ork, and the SB1000
> > >is a hellofalot faster than 2x400Mhz cpu U80s, I must say.  SB1K's
> > >take about 2hrs or so; U80's about 4.
> >
> > Inquiring minds want to know - "what" takes 2 hours on a SB1000 and 4 hours on a U80?
>
> Application of the latest patch cluster for Solaris 9 using a custom
> script that weeds out non-applicable patches for the given system.
> E.g. non-applicable hardware drivers, arch patches, etc.

How do you do this?

I never was very successful at automating either installs or patches for
Solaris.

Basically I hated how it was set up, but I really do need to learn.

Most admin books really just repeat the man pages or WWW dox on this.

> The U5s, on the other hand, are start and go to sleep type events. :-/

That's the bad thing about running older Sun hardware.  Even with
FreeBSD set fairly lean, updates can take awhile.

I'm talking about binary updates too... if I have to run the 64-bit
SPARC GNU compiler to build the updates, it can take quite awhile.

It is a combination of poor compiler performance, and terrible I/O
speed.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["That which is overdesigned, too highly
specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome garantees, if