[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Nov 6 14:34:29 CST 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 3:19 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
> "
> "
> " If it doesn't work , it won't get deployed long-term.  So what are
> you
> " worried about?
>
> it does work as a networking carrier.  radio disruption is an
> irrelevant side effect and not their problem as far as they're
> concerned.

I guess my point would be, I don't know of any company in the USA that
is actually using this technology to deliver gigabit+ speeds, which is
what you need to have in order to be competitive with other
technologies.

Thus it will die on the vine.

Already 1 strand of fiber, one wavelength,  can go 10Gbps relatively
cheaply; and plans are there to go to 20 or 40Gbps.  For long distance,
fiber is cheaper "in the real world" from what I can tell.

--Patrick