[geeks] Windows XP, and activation

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Mon Nov 6 09:53:12 CST 2006

Thus spake Chad McAuley:
> On 11/6/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> >From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>> >Date: 2006/11/06 Mon AM 12:25:52 CST
>> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> >Subject: Re: [geeks] Windows XP, and activation
>>

>> Microsoft also has tools to allow an organization to bypass MS update
>> servers and have desktops/servers update from a privately maintained
>> repository which can, as I understand it, download updates as they are
>> released and only with operator intervention will those updates be
>> pushed
>> out to the desktops/servers...
>>
>> They really sort of do have the functionality, but not for the
>> individual
>> desktop user.
>>

> Yep, that's pretty much exactly what WSUS (which we use here at $work)
> does.  Every day at a scheduled time it checks with Windows Update (or
> Microsoft Update or whatever the hell it's called now).  Then you can set
> how (and if) updates are approved.  You can automatically approve for
> installation or just detection, and for either case you can filter by

Is there a solution like this for companies that don't have 2003 yet?
We're a Win2k server location at the moment and I've got a mix of Win2k
and XP to patch but Automatic Updates have proven problematic at best.

Mike Hebel
----
"For space is wide and good friends are too few!" - Leslie Fish, "Sam Jones"