[geeks] Windows XP, and activation

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 6 08:44:49 CST 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2006/11/06 Mon AM 12:25:52 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Windows XP, and activation

<snip>

>There is *zero* reason Microsoft could not give you a list of what you
>need to download and let you schedule it later.

Well, let's be fair - if you play their game, they have options to alert you when updates are needed, download alerts as needed and let you schedule installation, and a final option to let MS download and install updates as they are released (and possibly reboot) your computer. What you ask for is something between the first two choices, but it is automated.

Microsoft also has tools to allow an organization to bypass MS update servers and have desktops/servers update from a privately maintained repository which can, as I understand it, download updates as they are released and only with operator intervention will those updates be pushed out to the desktops/servers...

They really sort of do have the functionality, but not for the individual desktop user.