[geeks] Windows XP, and activation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Nov 5 01:22:13 CST 2006

Sat, 04 Nov 2006 @ 14:33 -0500, Nadine said:

> On 11/4/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> > I didn't think it would work if you disabled the Genuine Disadvantage
> > stuff.
> >
> > Doesn't seem to work for me anyway.
> >
> > Every time I go to Window Update, it will only let me install GA.
>
> If you go through the web interface using IE, yes, that's correct, you
> can't use it.

I know, but...

> However, if you turn on automatic updates (including the variants,
> just inform, download but don't install, etc), it works fine.

...this doesn't do anything at all.  It never downloads anything.

> As I mentioned before if you google around, you will find some web
> sites distributing the updates so people who have disabled GA can
> download them and install manually.

There are also websides like oldversions.com that distribute old
versions of various programs since the new ones often suck so bad.

Today I tried to download DirectX 9.0c, and I was refused the download
because I didn't have GA installed.

I had to find it elsewhere.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty