[geeks] Windows XP, and activation

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 4 10:10:16 CST 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2006/11/04 Sat AM 12:37:58 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Windows XP, and activation

>Fri, 03 Nov 2006 @ 18:04 -0600, Lionel Peterson said:

<snip>

>> Personally, I use Windows Update ;^)
>
>I didn't think it would work if you disabled the Genuine Disadvantage
>stuff.
>
>Doesn't seem to work for me anyway.
>
>Every time I go to Window Update, it will only let me install GA.

We've gotten lost in the conversation between all the various contributors in the discussion (I suspect). All my WinXP copies are proper, licensed copies - either the O/S came with the PC, or it is an installation from my MS Action Pack (gets me a plethora of MS Software for personal/business use for 1 year) for $299 [0], and I can renew my subscription. During the 12 months of my subscription, I also get all updates to the software I recieved.

Youo are correct though, you have to install GA to get any updates... A requirement that Win2K doesn't have...

Lionel

[0] https://partner.microsoft.com/us/40009735 (Gets you not only desktop O/S, but Server packages, and office productivity software (MS Office, etc.) and if your subscription is in effect for the release of Vista and Office 2007, you would also get those updates as well. Well worth it if you have to work with MS Software. Software is marked not-for-resale, but is otherwise a complete full, legal copy of the software.)
Lionel