[geeks] encrypted video cable?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 2 09:29:15 CST 2006

Wed, 01 Nov 2006 @ 15:29 -0700, Dan Duncan said:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, John Francini wrote:
> > I'd have to try one with Little Snitch installed. Somehow, I don't
> > think it would phone home -- at least not to Adobe.
> >
> > I have a feeling that the built-in PDF code may not support Adobe's
> > javascript extensions as well.
> >
> > Does anyone have a PDF file so 'infected' that I could use as a test?
>
> Let us know what you find out.  I may create a bad hosts entry for whatever
> server at adobe it tries to look up and see what happens.

It's not Adobe that the documents will phone home too, it is whatever
the document creator put in the scripting.

Also, instead of phoning home, it might try to use one of the Reader
security exploits.

I would imagine if someone wanted to be annoying, they could write
scripts which just eat CPU or memory resources.  DoS documents?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]