[geeks] encrypted video cable?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 14:32:44 CST 2006

On 10/30/06, John Francini <francini at mac.com> wrote:
> On 30 Oct 2006, at 13:36, velociraptor wrote:
> > The rendering of the OSS pdf viewers/printers is atrocious compared to
> > Adobe's however.    I never really noticed this until I printed some
> > things recently.  I don't know if this is an issue with all pdfs, or
> > only with some.  I have not noticed the issue on the Mac.  However,
> > their pdf rendering code is licensed from Adobe.  I wonder if Mac's
> > preview "phones home"?
>
> No, because it would then be doing so for everything it renders on
> the screen.  Part of the underlying Quartz display engine uses PDF
> rendering technology to render all displayed text.

I am aware of the fact that the entire Mac UI render system is
PDF-based.  I was referring specifically to the case of pdf documents
that have the embedded javascript that can be used to "phone home" if
you open them with Acroread/Acrobat.  Most pdfs do not have this
embedded gem, but some do.  My question was to the latter.

=Nadine=