[geeks] PA Semi CPU start up company

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon May 22 13:35:27 CDT 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 12:59:00PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> And, based on casual reports I've read, Intel delivered a much
> appreciated performance boost, esp. in Laptop applications, RIGHT NOW.

That was because Freescale Semiconductor, formerly part of Motorola had
the same problem with the PowerPC as they had with the 68060. They really
could not get them done in time to keep up with Intel, and what they did
have they were not able to produce in quantity.

They never could produce a low power chip better than a 1.4gHz G4. In a
desktop chip,  where power is not as important, they were running out of
steam with the G5.

I think they welcomed Apple's move to Intel, they are much more interested in
producing the DragonBall series chips, which are low power 68000's for emebed
use and the (relatively) stripped down PPC chips for the X-Box 360.

My guess is that they've already sold more processors to Microsoft than
they ever sold PPCs to Apple.

Note that without the IBM deal, Apple would have implemented their "Star Trek"
project which was a 68040 based Macintosh. They already had it working.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838