[geeks] Gold archival CDs?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon May 22 12:54:33 CDT 2006

>From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
>Date: Mon May 22 12:23:49 CDT 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Gold archival CDs?

>On 5/22/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>> As I recall, teh AT&T Plan 9 project had an interesting filesystem/archival
>process that involved slowly migrating data from local "near off-line" storage
>(magneto-optical jukeboxes, IIRC).

<snip>

>There were a couple of companies that did this (and may still);
>several jobs ago, we had several of those MO jukeboxes.  Commvault was
>the company that provided the software, the jukes were HP gear, iirc.
>
>They were pretty temperamental, and not nearly as hands off as advertised.

Well, Plan 9 was more of a "Proof of Concept" than commercial production system, IMHO - but of course, I could be wrong...

When I say hands-off, I more concerned with things like loading/unloading tapes from juke boxes, etc - it all just happened. A feat that was possible because they had gobs and gobs of money, and could afford to "pre-fill" the MO jukeboxes with platters then leave them alone to do their thing.

A Telco Software house I worked for also had these types of jukeboxes, but they used them in leiu of tapes, and physically rotated them out of the jukeboxes, ISTR...

Lionel

Lionel