[geeks] Copy a linux disk

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sat May 20 12:29:38 CDT 2006

" From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
"
" I'm trying to accomplish something on linux that is trivial on Solaris
" and Irix.
"
" I have a 20 gig disk that the IT person used to build linux from
" scratch.  I don't want to mess too much with his setup so I want to copy
" it to a 6 gig disk.
"
" []
"
" Now, when I try to boot this, it says "unable to open initial console".
" []
"
" So, that raises a few questions:
" 1) Is there a better way to copy disks?  On Solaris I would
" ufsdump/ufsrestory, and likewise on Irix I would use xfsdump/xfsrestore

is there some form of dump/restore [gdump?] in linux?  there oughta
be.

" 4) Is there a way to use cpio (or whatever I should be using instead)
" over a ssh tunnel?  I'm pretty sure it is possible, but I've been
" banging my head on it.  I want an image of the disk in a more powerful
" machine to use as a build system (in a chroot environment).

if you can set ssh up for passwordless login it should be easy.